Thursday 7 December 2017

Julie's Advent Calendar 7th December 2017


See who else is joining in   HERE    


7 Bells

I have used this picture and story before so apologise to those who remember it.  These bells have been in our family for many, many years.  The white ones are from a bunch my mother bought in 1959 when we lived in Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia, present day Harare, Zimbabwe but the yellow one is even older.  It is made of brittle plastic and is the only one left from a set of three that I remember from about 1955.  My mother bought them in Lusaka, Northern Rhodesia, present day Zambia.  They are tied together with a rusty bit of tinsel which I keep for sentimental reasons.  Each year the little bunch are put on our tree.  A bit of family history! 





18 comments:

  1. They are lovely, and they have a story

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are very precious to me.

      Delete
  2. A little bit of history from our family (Christmas) tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I do recall this story but it is good to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those little bells and the history behind them. I've still got the fairy that went on the tree each year when I was a little girl. It's too fragile to use now, but I keep it in my Christmas box, and I can’t look at it without remembering those long-ago Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some like that, just get lifted out, looked at and then returned to their box each year.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I remember your story & the silvery crusty edged bells are very like mine & not sure whether I bought them or they were my Mum & Dads, as they had some similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother used to hang some greenery we called asparagus fern picked from the bush and tuck behind the pictures in the lounge with a bunch of bells - no holly in Central Africa.

      Delete
  6. I love putting family 'heirlooms' on the tree. Lovely to see your bells.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is good to have old ones with a history to them. Kind of special.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful story.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  8. They certainly keep memories alive.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great having decorations with a history to them - but especially brilliant being able to keep them that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this day of throwing out and buying new it is good to keep old, special decorations.

      Delete