Friday 27 July 2018

July Photo Treasure Hunt

The months are flying by, more than half the year gone and this month has flown by so quickly that it's month end and I have not done my post.
Hawthorn has set us a very varied lot of titles this month.  Had to put my thinking cap on.



Door


This picture was taken in York Minster.  I had quite a few pictures to choose from, all more elegant than this with fancy hinges and beautiful wood but this one intrigued me.  It is obviously a very large door.  Why such a large door right inside the Minster and such security not only on the large door but the smaller one too.  What is being kept behind this locked door?





Texture


 I had thought of textures of fabric but then remembered I had this photograph of our dear Jak taken many years ago by my son who loved taking my camera and filling it with lots of odd photographs!
I loved Jaks' strong, prickly whiskers and the velvety feel of his nose and his soft coat, all different textures.





Shadows

I must confess to not taking this photograph, it is one my daughter-in-law sent  earlier this year. You can see the snow on the ground and on the tops of the hills in the distance. It was taken at a dam near their home in Scotland where they take the dogs for a walk each Sunday.  It is of her and our son and their two Labradors, Roxy and Jess.





View




We are lucky enough to have a lovely view out of our lounge and bedroom windows.  It changes with the seasons and we have the most gorgeous sunsets all oranges and reds all year round. .  Then in winter it is covered in snow and up till a few weeks ago it was green fields with grazing sheep.  Sadly as we live in Lancashire where we are about to start a hosepipe ban as we have had the most gorgeous hot summer but until a couple of days ago, not a drop of rain and the reservoirs are almost dry, just large puddles.  This is as I like it, slightly autumnal, trees just turning. 






My Own Choice.



In 2011 after the disastrous earthquake and tsunami in Japan where over 22,000 people tragically lost their lives,  many children were orphaned. Kate felt the need to help in some way but had a job to find a way which help would be accepted.  The Japanese authorities did not want gifts but rather money. So after much searching Kate was able to make contact with an English lady with a blog who was in Japan helping at a makeshift orphanage.  She suggested we made small blankets, not to keep the children warm but more of something to be their own and a comfort to them.  So our Knit and Natter group all got knitting and crocheting. After the first parcel was received the lady in Japan put this picture up on her blog showing this little girl holding 'my' blanket.  I was thrilled.  We continued sending blankets and small knitted teddies for some months.





23 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten about that little blanket - it was good to see the photo again - we must have sent hundreds of little blankets in the end. Remember all those squares sent to us that we assembled and posted on? Nice shadows photo from S-i-L. Thank you for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten those squares. The KnK ladies sorted them all out on the floor then we joined them up.

      Delete
  2. I really love the textures shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that photographs too. I can feel his strong white whiskers and his soft velvety nose just looking at it.

      Delete
  3. Fab door! I know that view!! My favourite is Your Own Choice; I remember all the fun we had making those blankets and small toys and the joy the children had when given a blanket/toy. It was such a sad time for them but I felt we all did a good job to help, even though we were thousands of miles away. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a good feeling knowing we were helping those unfortunate children. I wonder how many hundreds we sent in the end.

      Delete
  4. I love all your photos and not sure which is my favourite. Could be the little girl with her pretty blankie. I must admit to being 'green' with envy of that beautiful view and hope you get some good rain soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are lucky with that view. We are on a main road so looking down we do see the traffic but hardly hear it at all with out double glazing. It's the changing seasons I love and summer has the added bonus of the fields opposite having their grass cut and baled, something I find fascinating each time we watch all that clever machinery finally spitting the black plastic covered rolls.

      Delete
  5. Love the close-up of Jak, and the one of the little girl holding 'your'blanket, and the reason behind it, is so touching. My favourite just has to be the view, it's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are lucky with that view. Always something to watch.

      Delete
  6. How lovely to see the little girl with her comfort blanket, she was obviously thrilled with it. Love textures and door and your view is wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That door was odd with all its old locks and the key must have been huge.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful pictures, difficult if not impossible to single out a favourite :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have fun searching my archives each month.

      Delete
  8. What a view! Love the texture pic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There is something special about a cat's velvety nose. He loved his face being stroked. Always pushed for more.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos, love the texture

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was pleased to find that photograph again. Jak loved sleeping on the apex of our garden shed. Felt safe perhaps or maybe it was because he could keep an eye on the birds.

      Delete
  10. That's a lovely photo and comment for your own choice. I like the view too and a nice photo for shadows. Great collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We have just returned from a week in Scotland with our son, his wife and two dogs and have walked along that wall of the Gartmore Dam. I now recognise the view except it is green with no snow!

      Delete
  11. Thank you for your lovely photos, the story of your gifts following the tsunami in Japan is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. Yes it was very rewarding doing all that knitting and crocheting and making toys and blankets. We felt we were doing just a little bit for those sad children.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to see that you have recently returned from Scotland as well. I would have loved to see those fairy horses, the Kelpies. They are gorgeous! I will save them for another trip. I love your tea/tee photo. Very clever! Nice knitting story. x

    ReplyDelete