Thursday 11 November 2021

Astrid's Photo Scavenger Hunt for the week ending 12/11/2021

 



This week's word chosen by Astrid is 'Apple'.  This surprisingly was not an easy one for me.   B does not like cooked apples so I don't have lovely pictures of gorgeous home made apple pie or have an apple tree in the garden.  So after wracking my brains I suddenly remembered a couple of pictures I could use.   


I was given by a Lovely Lady a big bag of Crab Apples to make jelly.  I have never made it with Crab Apples, just Guavas which grew all around where we lived in Natal, South Africa.  I checked recipes for quantities of sugar etc and followed the instructions.  When it came to straining the cooked pulp and liquid through a muslin cloth I needed somewhere to hang the bag.  B came to my rescue, as usual, and lent me his mini workbench.  It worked very well.  We clamped two pillowcases filled with the cooked crab apples onto the bench and put two bowls underneath.  


                        



and then added sugar and this was the result!!  It was delicious.  We used it instead of red current jelly.





My next apple picture is of a brass apple made by B and our son.  It is part of a set of fruit in a leaf shaped bowl. There is a pear, banana, plum and the apple, all moulded from real fruit.  I used to find it fascinating to see all old bits of brass being put into the crucible then watch it melt and eventually be poured out into the prepared sand moulds. 



Our son and his wife have the set in Scotland where they live so I urgently messaged them asking for a photograph.  So this is not one of my photographs but taken by J. 


And finally....................a simple bowl of English Gala Apples. Delicious. 



Now to check and see what delicious apple pies (my favourite pudding, covered in custard)  others have posted.  



7 comments:

  1. Well done! I've never made any sort of fruit jelly, but it sounds good. I love the brass apple and the fact that it is homemade. Yes, this one was difficult for me too. Have a lovely weekend, take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten about the crab apples, big sigh as I'm sure I have a photo of the jelly I made. I could just make out 2015 on your labels; gosh 6 years ago. I've been offered more since then but I've declined as I've been too busy and only I eat it so it is not worth the time and effort to make it. Your post was not boring at all! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crab apple jelly looks fabulous. We have a quince in our garden and do make quince jelly, which we use as a replacement for redcurrant jelly too. All that draining and dripping though ... definitely got to have plenty of patience for jelly making. I've got a lazy crumble for you over on my post. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you will check it out. I do so love apple pie and crumble and is what I usually order in a restaurant - unless there is Sticky Toffee Pudding on the menu.......mmmm love that and often make it too. 😊🍎🍏

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have apples daily - in fruit salad or in lunch boxes - G loves his apple crumble or apple pie and he makes it for himself - I don't like either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done G. Apple pie...mmm, apple crumble..mmm. Don't you like cooked apples like your Dad? xx🍏🍎

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, I almost missed this one. Very smart of you on how to make the crab apple jelly, I bet it tastes delicious! How cool that he made a brass apple, that looks great. I must say I like green apples the best, but as long as they're crunchy, I like them too.

    ReplyDelete