Friday 28 September 2018

September 2018 Photo Scavenger Hunt



Another interesting but challenging selection of titles but I'm not complaining as I always have fun searching through my archives for as many as possible.  Happy memories.







1. Brightly Coloured



These two photographs were taken at a concert put on by the nurses and staff at Thabomopo Hospital in South Africa where we worked for many years. It was a Psychiatric Hospital for Chronic Psychiatric patients and we had to regularly find stimulating activities like this for them.  The ladies below came from various tribes which explains the different traditional costumes.  The tribes represented here are Khosa (Nelson Mandela's tribe), Pedi, Shangaan, Sothu, Tswana, Venda and Zulu.  I thought their colourful dresses and the beautiful bougainvillea behind and above them suited this topic well.





To my shame I can only identify a few of the tribes these ladies represent.  The lady in the tall hat in the front row in the above photograph will be Zulu, and the Shangaan tribe is represented by the lady with the swinging skirt second from the end above and the nurse with cross over red fabric second from right in the back row.




l - r.  Tswana,   Sothu,   ?,  ?   Tswana, Shangaan.

2. Pattern

While on the subject of  tribal patterns and dress, these two trays have been made by the Venda people who live on both sides of the Zambesi River, some in Zimbabwe and some in South Africa.  They decorate their houses in the same bold geometric patterns too.




































3. Upside down



Our grandsons in a gruesome pose - one is definitely upside down.  Taken in 2008 in Northumberland.





        ..........upside down.......................



                       ..................or is it?

















4.   Ink


This had me stumped at first till I had a brain wave.........pens hold ink.....masses of pens in supermarkets.  Though I am sure that others may have the same idea as me if they were also stuck. 









5.   Bag


This pretty bag was given to me by Kate one Christmas.  I use it as my Knit and (K)natter bag so it always has happy thoughts attached to it.











6.  My Own Choice



I took this photograph while in Dunfermline, Scotland recently.  We were staying with our son and daughter-in-law in Scotland and they took us here as B's family came from here and he had spent quite a few cold snowy winters here as a young boy.  Living in colonial Africa we were brought home by the British government for 6 months every 3 years.  6 months paid leave, lovely.  Well it was for me as my parents opted to come in April till September. B's father liked to be here for the football season so his family always came over winter and froze.  We travelled either both ways by train from Lusaka, Zambia to Capetown which took 3 days then by boat on the Union Castle line from Capetown to Southampton or one way flying from Lusaka (which took 4 days in the 1950's but that is another story).  Anyway, I digress.  This lovely old pub was situated near the beautiful Dunfermline cathedral.







Well that's my lot for this month.  Now to go and check on other's interpretations of the titles.

15 comments:

  1. Love that you've crossed continents to do the hunt. The boys pose on the beach could easily go with The Creepy Wee Pub!!!! The woven plates are beautiful & I'm so glad I wasn't the only one stuck on ink, though I never even thought of everyday pens. Thanks for sharing & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprising how many were stuck on a simple thing like ink!!! I must say I only had the idea when walking round a supermarket last week. Titles not as easy as they first look. xx

      Delete
  2. As usual lovely photos and stories. My favourite is Colourful but I nearly chose Ink, which I thought was an inspired choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for comments. It brought back many happy memories seeing all the nurses in their tribal costumes. I was only sorry it was not such a good picture. x

      Delete
  3. It does not seem that long ago the boys were that size yet it is a life time away - they have certainly become 'all growd-up' ! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes our grandsons are definitely 'all growd-up' into two wonderful young men. (Though they are still young boys at heart!)xx

      Delete
  4. I love your fun photo for upside down, and brightly coloured is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The boys got up to so much nonsense those days - still do!

      Delete
  5. Love the photos, especially the one of your grandsons.

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Been waiting for a while for a reason to use that picture.

      Delete
  6. Great selections especially for Brightly coloured and upside down. Nice to have a bag with such happy memories attached.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Happy memories from all my topics this month.

      Delete
  7. I love your photos especially the colourful tribal costumes, the creepy wee pub and your grandsons looking equally scary. The knit and natter bag is lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was fascinated by that Creepy Wee Pub. It was on a cobbled street that added to the spooky atmosphere.

      Delete
  8. I've really enjoyed seeing your pictures for this months words.
    Thank you for commenting on my blog, my parents were married 29th September 1962!
    The woven trays are beautiful. I struggled with ink, never even thought about pens and now I've just thought about ink cartridges in the shop too.
    your upside down is amazing.

    ReplyDelete