Friday 26 October 2018

October Photo Scavenger Hunt

Once again Kate has set a random selection of words.  It took me a while this month to decide which photographs to select and then I completely forgot to do it.  Life took over.  Then yesterday Lovely Lady reminded me they should be posted today.  Panic. So here is my take on Kate's words - rather hurriedly done.
Kate has been too busy to post this month.  If you could see the work she has achieved together with a couple of friends to get the Trawden Artists and Makers village art festival up and running then I know you will forgive her.  You can check out what she is up to here   TAM-trawden-artists-makers- 2018 
and see some of the work on display this weekend.




Print

Like most proud grandparent I keep a few 'art' works done by the grandchildren.  I think these two pictures, though I am sure were done with the help of their mother, fit the heading.

The double print was done by eldest who is now 20 and doing his 3rd year at Lancaster University and the single print is done by youngest. now 18, who has finished school and has started an apprenticeship.  




                    






Spot


Near where we lived in Mpumulunga, Northern Province in South Africa is a Cheetah rescue centre where they take in Cheetahs that have been raised as pets or injured and rehabilitate them so they can return to the wild where they belong.  There were a couple of Cheetahs who had been raised as pets and been used in advertising alongside beautiful models.  They were so tame they could not return to the wild so lived in this enormous enclosure but preferred to stay near where the visitors entered the centre.  That explains why my photograph of a beautiful spotted cheetah was taken through a wire fence.  She just sat there purring just like a contented domestic cat but what a purr.  It was so loud


    .





Boundaries


Not much to say about this sign except it was taken on the road north of Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland. 





     





Flame 


The Flame Lily (Gloriosa Superba) is the national flower of Zimbabwe where it is a protected plant.  A diamond broach in the shape of a Flame Lily was a gift from Southern Rhodesia (modern day Zimbabwe) to the Queen on a visit in 1947 while she was still the crown princess.

When the rainy season started these beautiful flowers would come into bloom.  We used to pick a vaseful of them but as so often happens, people stripped the countryside to sell the flowers and so they became a protected species. 

You can see why they are called 'Flame Lilies'.





Leaves

Ever tried making roses from the gorgeously coloured autumn leaves?  Kate and I made some years ago and some of them are still going strong.  I get them out each Christmas and use them in my indoor Christmas Wreath which I make using as many dried things as I can as the central heating kills it off otherwise. 
The heading 'leaves' inspired me to go and find some fresh leaves and made some again for this post.  Trouble was, I don't have the right kind of trees here any more so we dashed off to Aldi where there are sycamore trees but the winds had blown most of the leaves off.  I did bring some home but they were not supple enough.  So I have resorted to using the lovely yellowing leaves of my climbing hydrangea (Hydrangea petiolaris) which were really on the small side.  If you can still find some leaves where you are they are fun to make. 




Selection of rather small leaves



Fold in half



Roll up small leaf for centre and wrap first leaf around it, outer corners folded across from each side. 








Give a half turn and fold another leaf around first 'petal'.  Continue in this way until a rose bud forms.  This is easier with larger leaves. Holding it firmly at the base, wrap some florists' tape around the stems of the leaves. 


Now you have seen how easy it is, check out this site diy-maple-leaf-roses-6-easy-steps





My Own Choice


As it is the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI at the moment I thought I put in a special mention of B's grandfather who was killed in Belgium where he was a tunneller with the Canadian Engineers.
We recently went to see the war memorial in Dunfermline, Scotland,  his home town, where his name is listed.  There we saw these lovely memorial benches that were all around the area.



        



15 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. I love the painted hands

    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Such tiny hands and now such big young men. xx

      Delete
  2. Glad you made it this month!!!!! Love your photos. The Flame Lily is lovely; never grown one. My favourite photo is your own choice; topical and evocative. I'm sitting here with bits of felt to try to make a poppy, if my broken wing will help just a little bit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just made it, well actually a few hours late! Never grew a flame lily in the garden. As they were protected it was difficult to obtain corm. Hope Broken Wing feeling better. xxx

      Delete
  3. Your photos are wonderful! I really enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. As I use so many old photographs it is a trip down memory lane each month. x

      Delete
  4. A very elegant looking cheetah, I do love a cat with a loud purr.
    The hands made me smile, I think all mothers and grandmothers have had one of those pictures at some point. Good luck to your young men in their studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Pity that in all our day trips and week long holidays in the Kruger National Park we never saw one close enough to take a picture in the wild. x

      Delete
  5. Still having trouble with computer as I left a comment on Saturday & it disappeared, so here we go again. A very distinguished Cheetah & oh the Gloriosa lily is gorgeous. My Mum once sent me a bulb/corm through the post & I thought it looked rather like a dog doodoo (lol), but they are sure worth the effort of growing one. The benches are very pretty & I too have kept a few bits'n'bobs from both our children & grandies. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad your flame lily was successful. We never grew one in our garden as being protected, there was no way we could get a corm. Hope it is still flowering each year. Our Nephew and his wife in Oz have them in their garden. xxx

      Delete
  6. I could instantly hear that purring they do - that and chirrups they make when they are calling out to you. Lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy memories. Yes that little chirrup was lovely. xx

      Delete
  7. A great idea for print and I love those leaf roses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for that information. We will definitely send a photograph of the memorial to go on the register. What a good idea. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. Do try making those leaf roses. They are so rewarding and as I said, last ages. x

    ReplyDelete