Friday 30 November 2018

November 2018 photo scavenger hunt


I can't believe it is the end of November and Christmas is just a few weeks away.  Where has the year gone?  Once again Kate has set us an interesting set of words for our headings.  I hope to be able to think outside the proverbial box with most of them.


Post box


In most towns in South Africa there is no postal delivery, all mail goes to your 'P.O.Box' at your nearest post office.  In the background you can see some blue private post boxes. We each had our own keys and could collect post at our leisure.  But posting mail at Hazyview Post Office where we lived, is another thing. This picture was sent to me by friends in South Africa showing the post box - minus door!  One wonders why; did someone want to retrieve something they had posted, was a thief at work - the mind boggles!!






Decay



Seems like this decayed plank will need replacing.  A job for a warmer day perhaps.







Secondhand


Second-hand or second hand - it all depends on the presence or absence of a hyphen and interpretation.  This clock is definitely not second-hand , we bought it new - but it does have a second hand.  It is the most brilliant kitchen clock.  It is radio controlled so always correct and it even changed when the clocks went back, all by itself.  We were most impressed!










Strand


A photograph immediately came to mind when I read this word and when I asked B his reply was the same.  Not a strand of hair, or wool, but Bloubergstrand in the Cape or just the Strand as we knew it.  I'm sure you are all familiar with the famous view of Table Mountain, with or without its tablecloth on top but what you may not know the picture is it is always taken from round the other side of Table Bay at Bloubergstrand (which translates to Blue Mountain Beach named after nearby Blue Mountain).  When we used to visit the Cape where my parents were living we loved going to the beach there.  There was a little village with just a few houses.  Now it is a huge sprawling suburb of Cape Town.








Fold 


I don't have picture of a sheep fold, or folding paper to hand but I did find this example of a fold of flab in my collection.  It was taken in a Private Game Reserve outside Amanzimtoti in Kwa Zulu Natal some years ago.  This orangutan was part of a breeding project which explains why he was so far from his home in Borneo.  But you must admit......it is a fabulous example of a fold!!  









My Own Choice


My scanner is suddenly not talking to my computer! Not sure why.  So I have had to use a photograph which I fortunately have on the PC sent to me by my friend in South Africa, so I am afraid it is two cheats this month, using my friend's photographs.  It is taken in one of the game parks in Northern Province.  What luck finding such a large family of lions just lying in the road.  









  As this is the last monthly scavenger hunt this year I would like to wish all of you a very Happy  Christmas and peaceful 2019.




                                                 


                                                         

17 comments:

  1. Great photos & wow, you've outdone it with FOLD. It is absolutely fabulous & I also like the pride of lions on the road. I've never seen a picture Table Mountain from that angle & wonder if maybe the door just fell off due to decay (ha, ha). I'd love to know if that clock has a loud ticking sound or is silent. I've a wall clock in the sewing room with a very loud tick that annoys me so much, that I'm going to have to find another one & that maybe something I could look for. Thanks & seasons greetings to you too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, clock does not click though the one it replaced did and I actually loved it. This one does have smaller dials showing temperature and humidity. It was one of Lidl's weekly specials a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again I've enjoyed your photos and stories. Fold is hilarious and so out of the box! A non-ticking clock is essential; I don't like to hear the ticks (and tocks) as it reminds me of time passing too quickly. My favourite has to be strand; why? It's sunny! As I type it is raining hard, again! How do you get by the lions in the road?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't get past, you sit patiently and enjoy the scene. There will no doubt be cars on the near side too from where the picture was taken. But then some impatient idiot will start trying to drive past and disturb the pride lying there.

      Delete
  4. Great photo choices Jak. The view of Table Mountain from the Strand looks amazing. I would love to see it. And those lions! That is an exceptional spot by your friends. Good choice for second-hand. :)
    Enjoy your Christmas. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. we both felt very nostalgic looking at the picture of Table Mountain, especially as the day is cold and wet! Enjoy your Christmas too.x

      Delete
  5. I love the ones of the orangutan and the lions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Animal ones are always favourites.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos, fold is certainly brilliant but my favourite Bloubergstrand xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, happy memories of picnics on that beach. xx

      Delete
  7. Great photos and interpretations especially fold. Oh, to have a clock that keeps time and alters itself when the clocks go forward or back each year. Hope you too have a wonderful Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We love our clock and think it is so clever. Fold was indeed a popular choice too.

      Delete
  8. You always share such different and interesting pictures, my favourite is definitely the last one. A bit different to driving around here and finding sheep sleeping on the tarmac! (Apparently they do this because the road surface is generally warmer.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the lions will have been lying on the tarmac because of the warmth too. The photographs shows it was taken in winter - brown grass and bare trees. Even though winter is anything under 20 deg when we got out the winter jerseys, by comparing to summer at about 35 - 40 deg it was definitely much cooler.

      Delete
  9. Great thinking for second hand! That's a beautiful view for strand. Fold made me chuckle! Great interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos. I love the Lions making the traffic stop
    Would you like me to add you to the Advent list?

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. I love looking out for pictures from our archives. Very nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete