Thursday 10 December 2020

Kate's Christmas Friday Photo Hunt.

 

This the second Friday and in each case I have left it so late.  I have been so busy with one thing or another - mainly computer stuff that I have not done any baking this week.  I must admit too that I seldom do any baking - as it is only B and I and we try and avoid  yummy treats.   So I have had a quick look back at some of my previous entries and pinched this from a few years ago.  Sorry, cheating I 'm sure.  

I  have my friend Threads through my life to thank for even remembering to do this entry.  She checks up on me and reminds me all the time.  



With so many recipes to chose from I have selected a traditional South African pudding or teatime treat - Melk Tert, which translates as Milk Tart.  It is quite different to the English custard tart and much easier to make as it does not have to set in the oven, you make it like custard, in a saucepan.  You can be good and make a short pastry pre baked case but I cheat and buy them ready made from the supermarket.  




MELK  TERT   (Makes 2 x 8"  tarts)

4 rounded tablespoons flour                          l cup sugar
4 level tablespoons cornflour                        3 eggs
l litre milk                                                       3 tablespoons butter
Cinnamon sticks (Optional)                           Pinch salt.  
Ground cinnamon                                          2 Baked pastry shells

Sift and mix together dry ingredients. Add eggs, beating well. Add a little milk and mix till smooth. Boil together remaining milk, salt, cinnamon sticks (or pinch of cinnamon) and butter. Add hot milk to flour mixture and return to saucepan and cook slowly till thick. Pour into baked pastry shell and sprinkle with cinnamon. 

11 comments:

  1. Looks good enough to eat! Thank goodness for archives. Do I need to remind you about the photo hunt next week? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I must really think about doing some baking. Everyone is putting me to shame. Yes please, reminders are most welcome. xx

      Delete
  2. My mouth is watering! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Melk Tert is delicious and so easy to make. It is a regular as a teatime treat or dessert served with cream in most South African homes. xx

      Delete
  3. Just back from the kitchen (while I wait for things to cook) checking the link ups - fatal - it is all such yummy food!
    A couple of days ago I made vanilla slices - and the custard is (bar the cinnamon) very similar to the melktert custard - and that was super tasty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your melk tert looks done to perfection. I sampled some of this when I was in South Africa several years ago and it was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this interesting dessert, it's great to see the variety of dishes from around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks scrummy ... I must confess to also being a fan of shop bought pastry cases ... no soggy bottoms then for sure 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am most definitely a fan of the shop bought pastry case ... the only way I find I don't end up with a 'soggy bottom'

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like another good one to try and I think I have all the ingredients necessary! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds lovely & now we are back on line, I'll join in too on Friday. Take care & stay safe . Hugs to you & B in this difficult year.

    ReplyDelete