Friday 27 August 2021

Astrid's Photo Scavenger Hunt for the week ending - 27/08/2021

 This week the choice of word chosen by Astrid is 'Bucket'.  Not such an easy one for me.  I have had to borrow other pictures from various archives this week.  



 My immediate thought was for the picture I knew we had of our 'bucket and spade' shop in Seahouses, Northumberland.  Every year when we went on holiday there we would go to Seahouses for a fish and chips lunch and part of the tradition was to visit the 'bucket and spade' shop.  It was about three shops joined into one vast, rambling shop filled with, lets be honest, tat. All cheap holiday souvenirs but we would wander through all the same. I found the picture as you will see below but much to my disappointment there are no buckets and spades outside. But I thought I will still use it, the title fits our name for it, then today I enlarged the picture again and poured over it and there, just below the pink spades in the window, behind the pram handle are a couple of blue buckets.  Take my word for it, they are there. Whew, I have some buckets!! 







We have tried most of the different Fish and Chip Restaurants over the years including the one in the picture above but preferred Lewis Fish Restaurant.  The lighting in this picture is bad, either I could read the menu or I could see the buckets.  I naturally have chosen the latter.  They have three little buckets joined together, holding the cutlery, savoury seasonings and sugar sachets. 




The next two pictures were taken at the annual Trawden Garden and Scarecrow Festival in 2011.  That is Mr McGregor of Beatrix Potter fame.  Peter Rabbit always was in trouble for stealing carrots from Mr McGregor's garden.  He is life sized and remade each year.  It is a tiny but perfect garden and normally wins prizes. If you look at the beautiful foxgloves on the right of the photograph then then follow them down to the second photograph you will see they are growing in a bucket.




Not quite buckets, but a sack and watering can but can you see two gorgeous little creatures peeping out.









This picture was taken just around the corner from the first. Note the daisies growing in a bucket. You can see why this garden always won prizes. Well deserved Lynne.  



Just as a footnote to Mr McGregor the scarecrow.  Each year, after the Garden Festival was over he was taken up to Beatrix Potters' Home - Hill Top Farm, in Cumbria which is open to the public.  He replaced the previous year's scarecrow.  He would sit on a bench with a collection bucket and people would donate money to sit on the bench next to him to have their photograph taken. 




This picture I took off Hill Top Farm's web page. It shows Mr M. sitting on a bench outside the farmhouse.  He has raised over £12,000 over the past few years for local charities.


 

I have a file on my computer labelled 'Garden Ideas' and put pictures in it for inspiration.  These are three of those pictures.  Again they are not my pictures, but they are full of buckets and who knows, someone else maybe inspired by the pictures. I love the way these buckets have been fixed over a central pole to look like they are balanced on top of each other. 
 



These garden tools displayed on the old green door together with plants and  old galvanised bucket inspired me to hang my tools on the side of the garden shed. 






Finally a tower of buckets filled with different herbs.

























A late PS.   During the night I suddenly remembered that I do have another couple of buckets I can use.  Not my well used garden buckets but miniature brass bucket and coal scuttle (I'm sure it can be classed as a bucket too). I have put a little brass thimble in the group to give an idea of their size..
 






So that's my lot for this week.  Now to go and see how others have interpreted the word.  
Keep well and have a good September.  Can't believe the year is flying by so quickly.


8 comments:

  1. You’ve done well with a tricky subject. NowI’ve seen your post I have remembered that I have some photos in the archive of bucket and spade shops I just didn’t think of them. Can’t believe we will be into September next week already … this year is certainly flying by at a pace 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If you are ever in Seahouses I recommend that restaurant and the beaches just north of the town, on the road to Bamburgh, are always excellent. Vast and empty, rock pools, sandy beaches, lots of dogs to be seen and occasionally horses too. You can also watch the boats going out to the Farne Islands there. 🌼

      Delete
  2. I nearly suggested bucket and spades to you when you seemed unsure of what to use, but you have done yourself proud. I'd forgotten about Lynne and Mr McGregor; she did do well with him. Yes, it's September next week so I hope the rain does not arrive in buckets.... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If it does rain buckets lets home they are not heavy galvanised ones, or huge tractor ones like yours!! 🌼 x

      Delete
  3. Well done & I love the scarecrow. I also thought of bucket & spades at the beach, but no photos like that, so I was lucky to come up with what I did. Your garden ideas folder certainly helped. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. You know that garden with the scarecrow, opposite Kate's. It's a tiny little back yard with a very small garden. Just a few square metres. Have a good week and look forward to 'seeing' you next Friday. xx🌼

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have wonderful bucket photos! I also spied some big buckets with spades in them in front of the pram. You did better than you thought!
    The Scarecrow Festival looks wonderful, so creative. I love how they reused it and get a donation too! The garden ideas are good ones, I really like the balanced buckets.
    Thanks so much for joining in and finding some great buckets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely selection of pictures :). I didn't know about Beatrix Potter's garden - that would be lovely to see. The scarecrow is superb

    ReplyDelete