Thursday 22 April 2021

Astra's Photo Scavenger Hunt Challenge 22/04/2021

 

This week Astrid has selected the word 'Earth' as our prompt.  Much to my surprise when I switched on my computer this morning I saw a new Google Doodle and it said it was EARTH DAY.  I had no idea there was such a special day.  Coincidence Astrid - or well planned choice of word??!!







At the moment I am busy in our garden repotting all my shrubs as I have not done some of them for a couple of years and they are getting pot bound.  We always make our own compost and this year have a lovely lot of rich brown EARTH to use.






What is it about toddlers and mud (wet EARTH!!).  This picture was taken when we lived in Salisbury, Rhodesia (now Harare, Zimbabwe). Katie is making the flower bed all muddy and little brother is eating the mud!! I'm not sure who was having the most fun.  






Then of course there is another kind of earth - the one in an electrical plug.






Finally, there is our Earth.  I was not able to book a seat on any space flights so I have zapped one off NASA'S  free images.





"The Blue Marble is an image of Earth taken on December 7, 1972, from a distance of about 29,000 kilometres (18,000 miles) from the planet's surface.  It was taken by the crew of the Apollo 17 spacecraft on its way to the Moon and is one of the most reproduced images in history.

It mainly shows the Earth from the Mediterranean Sea to Antarctica.  This was the first time the Apollo trajectory made it possible to photograph the south polar ice cap, despite the Southern Hemisphere being heavily covered in clouds.  In addition to the Arabian Peninsula and Madagascar, almost the entire coastline of Africa is clearly visible.  The Asian mainland is on the horizon."   (Wikipedia)



Now off to see what everyone else has done this week.
Keep well and see you next Friday. xx 


10 comments:

  1. What is it with kids and mud? I remember playing in it but can't say I've ever eaten it :) I like the earth shot, the blue marble effect is lovely and certainly deserves its name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, boys and mud seem to go together. They seem to enjoy being dirty.

      Delete
  2. Love all your earth pictures! You did think outside the box. Would you go on a space trip to take your own photo of the earth??? I used to make my own compost in 4' cubes! Favourite is little brother eating the mud! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No I would no like to go on a space trip thankyou!! We have 2 x 4ft cubes for our compost. They work well. x

      Delete
  3. You are a wizard thinking of "earthing" with your electrical outlet. My favourite would have to be Kate & little brother making & playing in the mud. Well done. Take care, stay safe & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That photo was taken over 50 years ago and little brother now towers over us all at 6ft. Where do the years go to? xx

      Delete
  4. I know it may strange but I have some real compost envy going on over here 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ordered wooden slats to make up that 4' x 4' compost frame and when it arrived the end of one slat was broken. I contacted the firm to ask for a replacement slat and they sent a complete second set. So after B did a little repair job we ended up with two sets. I agree, nothing as rewarding as turning all the kitchen greens and peels together with garden waste into rich brown compost. x

      Delete
  5. Yes, I knew it was coming up and thought it would be appropriate!
    Wow, your compost pile turned out great. I made lots of mud pies growing up, but don't remember ever eating any. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A most appropriate word, well selected. Eating mud must be a 'boy thing' as I don't remember Katie ever doing it. xx

    ReplyDelete