Thursday 17 June 2021

Astrid's Photo Scavenger Hunt - week ending 18/06/2021

 Astrid's choice of word for this week is Flag.  For once I did not have to look far for pictures this week as we have a selection of flags from the former Southern Rhodesia in 1923 through to it's present flag of Zimbabwe.  We just had to find them.  Fortunately B remembered where they were.



These miniature flags tell the story of the history of Southern Rhodesia through to Zimbabwe. 





This the the flag of the British South Africa Company, incorporated in 1890 - 1923 under a Royal Charter.






The original flag of Southern Rhodesia 1923 - 1953







The flag of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland formed by the amalgamation of Northern Rhodesia (Zambia), Southern Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and Nyasaland (Malawi) 1953 - 1963. The shield was designed to represent all three countries, the sun of Nyasaland, and lion of Southern Rhodesia and the Victoria Falls from the Northern Rhodesian Flag.



The next two are Ministerial car pennants from the car of the Minister of  Transport and Works.  My mother had been his private secretary and kept these at the break up of the Federation. 




Flag of Rhodesia after UDI (the Unilateral Declaration of Independence) 1968 - 1979.  It now incorporates the Zimbabwe Bird, the name of a large carving found at the Great Zimbabwe .Ruins.






The flag of Zimbabwe Rhodesia - 1979 




The present day flag of Zimbabwe, again with the Zimbabwe bird. 



That the lot from me.  Not very original I'm afraid.  No thinking outside the box as I like to do.  I'm off to see what others have posted for this word. 

5 comments:

  1. It’s really interesting to see the changes over the years … I’m sure there must have been some turbulent times … thanks for sharing 😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with your historical flags. I don't have any flags at all so I had to really think outside the box. Next week's word is hard for me but I have a cunning plan! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever so interesting & I learnt a little more about Zimbabwe through your dialogue. Thank you. Take care & stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all beautiful flags and definitely original!
    My cousin was born in Zambia in the early 70's, but moved to Wales soon after that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd forgotten about these little flags - a lovely memory - think the last time I say them must have been over 30 years ago - wow where has time gone?

    ReplyDelete