Thursday 3 June 2021

Astrid's Photo Scavenger Hunt - week ending 04/06/2021

This Friday we are looking for pictures of 'glass' in its different forms.  I must admit I had left it rather late this week, I'd forgotten what day it was - one of the problems of being in retirement, days seem much like one another. As it is late, ten forty five pm, I thought I would just raid my archives but to my horror, every file I opened read 'File Empty'.  I knew I had lost many photographs when I started using my new compute but had hoped I'd find the pictures I needed.  My son has always done anything I needed doing with my computer but he no longer lives near having moved to Scotland so I had to transfer from my old to my new computer myself - with disastrous results.  So I have had to use pictures I have used before or one zapped off the internet.

I took this picture in the little church in Newchurch in Pendle, right in the centre of the Pendle Witches story near the village of Barley at the foot of Pendle Hill.  It is only a small church but  has the most gorgeous windows.








Another stained 'glass' window we really love is this one in York Minster, a place we love to visit and where we take any of our South African friends when they visit. 






This is the main window in our own church, All Saints.  






but this is one of my favourites, the very simple windows in  the parish church of St Mary the Virgin in a very simple setting as befits this little church on Lindesfarne or Holy Island near Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland. If the tide is right and we are able to cross on the causeway before it is submerged for several hours, then we attend the service there. 








This little snowman has appeared before in a Christmas post but I have included him as he is made of glass and he is carefully handled and wrapped up again after Christmas.  My mother bought him in  1960 so he is now 61 years old - and still not melted!!  







This final picture of glass is of a group of green glass in our lounge.  The two small ones were given to my mother and me by a very good friend after she returned from a holiday in Venice in the late 1950's when we were living in Lusaka, Northern Rhodesia (present day Zambia).  The tall bottle held bath salts and belonged to my mother as did the green hock glass at the back.  That had been one of a pair she had when my parents were living here in 1964.  One day both of us ran into the lounge when we heard a loud clinking of glass as we knew what was happing.  There was a very young Katie sitting on the floor banging the two of them together - she obviously loved the noise they were making.  My mother learned very quickly to lift everything fragile above toddler level!! 






Well that is my selection of glass pictures.  Sorry if some are repeats.  Now off to see what others have done this week.  


4 comments:

  1. I nearly went with stained glass windows this week and you certainly have some lovely ones to share. It’s so interesting seeing how everyone interprets the weekly theme so differently. Take care 😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stained glass windows, I do love them. I don't think I have any photos so yours were much appreciated. I see Kate, at an early age, was developing a taste for good things! Long may your snowman not melt. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I was running behind & had to cobble my together quickly. Lovely stained glass photos & I too love church windows & have a very old photo of York Minster windows in an old photo album. Thanks for sharing, take care, stay safe & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you lost photos, maybe they're hiding somewhere for your son to find them when he comes next?
    So many lovely stained glass windows in the churches, lucky you to have seen them in person! Your snowman is a treasure and the green group is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete