Friday 16 July 2021

Astrid's Photo Scavenger Hunt - week ending 16/07/2021

 This week's word is PICNIC.  The trouble is when we have a picnic we have not taken any pictures of our picnic - rather of the view!! I had not realised it till I searched my archives for a suitable picture.  So I have a strange selection this week.


We were in Northumberland walking on Beadnel beach with Dunstanburg Castle in the distance when a sudden storm caught us out and we had to rush back to our car where we sat out of the rain, eating our picnic - but what a view - a building site!!  We were in a car park and this is what we could see out of the window.






Had we been facing the other way - this is what we would have seen


 

As I said above, we took pictures of the site, the view, and not of us.  Here we are parked at Bolton Abbey, by the side of the River Wharf.  You can see other picnickers and even smoke from someone's barbeque. I was more interested in trying to photograph birds.  The cars are not as close as they look thankfully, as we would normally choose to be somewhere quieter for a picnic.  We  had stopped to buy an icecream from a parked icecream van.




This picture was taken in about 1972 by a lake in the Matopos National Park near Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.  It is a beautiful quiet place surrounded by granite hills.  Cecil John Rhodes is buried here, right at the top of a flat granite rock with the most beautiful view of the surrounding countryside, a place chosen by Rhodes himself.  The picture is not  very good quality as I only have a thumbnail picture and have snipped and enlarged it from there but it does show an actual picnic, food, a cool bag and a flask!

 

Kate and her young brother 





Here we had been walking on Berwick-upon-Tweed beach and had again retreated to our car for out lunch as it had begun to rain.  A police car was parked nearby and they too were having a sandwich and coffee and this seagull landed on their car bonnet and started staring at them.  He obviously fancied their lunch too. 



 He eventually got fed up with being ignored so flew across to our car bonnet and just stood there, staring at us too.  They are huge close up with a ferocious looking beak and staring eyes.  I was glad we had a window between us. 




At last, a real picnic photograph.  We were out walking in 2006 with Kate and her family and had stopped for lunch under this tree.  It's easy to forget  how little our grandsons were till you look back a photographs.  Here we are with Cleggy, their Border Terrier. 



So, rather a sorry lot of picnic photographs.  Now off to see proper picnic pictures done by others.   Hope to do better next week. 


 

5 comments:

  1. But these are lovely. The views set the scene for your picnics; without them the stories would be lacking as I can't see picture after picture of a picnic spread being wonderful! The seagull does look menacing. Your second picture is my favourite. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I had he same problem with regards photos … more of the views whilst we ate them than the picnics themselves. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever way of interpreting 'picnic' I don't think I take photos of the food - more of the view too :)
    ps Cleggy was a "bordering-on-a-collie" 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just noticed my error.....Border Collie was what I should have said. Though I like 'bordering on a collie'. If it was from my phone I would blame predictive text. I don't know how that happened. Sorry Cleggy.

      Delete
  4. Sorry I missed this one!
    Part of the picnic is the view, so the first ones worked out just fine! The seagull certainly doesn't look very happy with you having your picnic in the car, no crumbs for him!

    ReplyDelete