Friday 14 May 2021

Astrid's Photo Scavenger Hunt - 14/05/2021

Friday again, and this time the choice of prompt is 'Mirror'.  Sounds simple enough especially when we have a lot of mirrors around the  house.  But to find something interesting and to take a photograph without including myself was a problem at first.



This  picture was taken with the help of B who suggested it then helped get both me and the ceiling light out of the picture.  The flowers are some he has bought for me for my birthday. 






My next image is a type of 'mirror image' of a different sort.  I have mentioned this before and used a similar picture about rhinos. As you know they are on the endangered species red list as they are being killed for their horns.   When we watch any of the Africam.com sites and  a rhino appears on the screen the camera is immediately moved, often straight up to the sky, or rapidly sideways.  They don't want the poachers to know where the rhinos are living.  So when we get a chance to take a picture we feel very lucky.  This pair of almost identical rhino, looking ghostly white on the night camera, had suddenly popped out of the undergrowth for a drink.


                      



The next mirror effect is again from my Africam.com  selection, this time the mirror is the still water of the dam perfectly reflecting the towering giraffe in the evening light.






Finally a pair of soap stone carvings from Zimbabwe of hornbills. They almost make a mirror image, one is just a little larger than the other. 



Last night I suddenly remembered............I do have another mirror picture. How could I forget. So this morning we hurriedly got out the old wedding album from the box of all the families wedding albums and yes, I was right, I did have a couple of mirror pictures.  This was taken 59 years ago in my parents house in Borrowdale, Salisbury, Southern Rhodesia (Harare, Zimbabwe today).  I can't believe it was so long ago. How time flies. 




Well that's my lot for this week.  Now to see what everyone else has posted.  As from Monday many restrictions are being lifted and a bit of normality will return to life.  Just hope everyone plays ball and Covid numbers stay down.  Take care and have a good week.


6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday before I forget! A good selection of photos; my favourite is the giraffe. It is good that the wildlife cameras try to move when rhinos appear. You did well to find the wedding photo. Indeed, how time flies. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I've taken so long to reply, been busy enjoying my 'birthday weekend' with all the family. We love playing 'spot the rhino' to see if we can catch a glimpse before the zoom ranger does. x

      Delete
  2. Lovely lot of photos and seems a few of us had the same idea with mirror images in water. Love the giraffe one & I do like the one of you reflected in the mirror. Now seems you may have just celebrated your birthday, so belated birthday wishes. Take care, stay safe & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I've taken so long to reply, been busy enjoying my 'birthday weekend' with all the family. Yes, great minds think alike or maybe we were all desperate for a mirror photograph!!

      Delete
  3. I love the giraffe and the rhinos and agree that it’s a great idea to move the cameras to try and foil the poachers. Love your wedding reflection too 😃

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I've taken so long to reply, been busy enjoying my 'birthday weekend' with all the family. Thank you, I love that giraffe picture too, I love the colours of the evening light and the stillness of the water.

    ReplyDelete