Friday 28 May 2021

Astrid's Photo Scavenger Hunt - week ending 28.05.2021



 

This weeks word is 'Music'.  In spite of my father's whole life being one way or the other involved in music, I'm afraid it passed me by.  He played the piano, accordion, organ, xylophone, guitar and other stringed instruments.  

Before the war he had his own band and played for 'Tea Dances' in a large hotel on the Eastbourne Royal Parade.  



When WW11 broke out he enlisted, hoping to join the RAF but he was slightly colour blind and had flat feet so was no good for the Army.  So he was drafted into ENSA (Entertainments National Service Association) and was able to take his band with him.  He assembled a 14 man band and travelled round entertaining the troops and being used as a decoy. 




When we moved to Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) after the war he joined the Central African Broadcasting Service.  There was very little traditional African music to broadcast so my father, together with a sound engineer and African interpreter, travelled around the countryside to find villagers who would sing traditional songs for them to record on a huge reel to reel recorder.  Occasionally my father felt a tune being sung could be played for a European audience and he would rewrite the music to fit the piano.  One such tune was purchased by Decca Records and recorded by Bert Kaempfert  and his orchestra and forms the basis for African Safari, a piece I still hear played on the radio today.  Pity he did not keep some of the rights, he was only played £80.00 for it. 

Me, I was just not interested, which I regret so much today.  My father had been forced to learn to play and practice the piano and said he would not force me.  I much preferred to be off riding my horse than practicing the piano!!   So today all I can do is play 'God Save the Queen' and some African Kwela music on a Recorder both very badly!!  The only musical instrument we have in the house is a Mbira or Marimba - an African Thumb Piano.  


I only have one more 'music' link.  I read in the 'letters page' in the Saga magazine about readers sick of how BBC 2 radio station was changing to suit younger listeners and it was suggested that readers try 'Serenade Radio' available via your computer.  I did and we have listened to nothing since.  All lovely oldies and no talking, just a few occasional words. Gorgeous. Right now I am listening to Nat King Cole.  So soothing. 

                                          

So I'm afraid I don't have any real musical pictures so that's it for this week and month.  Now off to see what others have done with the prompt.


   

                                     

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. Such wonderful memories of your father's musical career. Whilst I don't listen to the radio, I do like Nat King Cole. Thanks for the memories. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It has been lovely remembering all Dad's musical career. He also had a Sunday Evening Sundowner programme of piano, drums and base on the radio and wrote comedy skits for radio plays. I have only just remembered those too. Happy memories. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fascinating tales of your father and what an interesting life he must have lead 😃. With regards to radio 2 I have a theory that we all start with Radio 1, then when we reach a certain age we move to Radio 2 as Radio 1 has moved in to music that no longer resonates. I guess when the next generation moves to radio 2 then we need to move in elsewhere ... if that makes sense 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes makes complete sense. In our case we have now almost abandoned Radio 2 and switched to music more our era on Serenade Radio. (Sorry Ken Bruce). xx

      Delete
  4. I absolutely loved your story about your Dad & can't believe the type of life he had. Your little Marimba is gorgeous and reminds me of a miniature harp. Thanks so much for sharing and I'll try and put together a post this afternoon. Take care,stay safe & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm sure your harp makes a glorious tinkly sound whereas our Marimba is definitely more of the plinky plonk variety as it's 'keys' are made from beaten nails or in the case of this one, flattened fencing wire. xx

      Delete
  5. A wonderful post with lovely memories of your father's musical career, it sounds like he had a very interesting life. I like your little marimba, it reminds me of a tribal mask. Regarding Radio 2, I totally agree with Carol's comment - they have it playing in the workshop at my morning job and I've long held the opinion that it sounds like Radio 1 did in the 1970s and 80s - I gave up listening to that years ago as they just seem to play noisy rubbish these days. I think maybe the more easy listening-type music that used to be on Radio 2 is now on Radio 4?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comments. I agree with Carol's comments too. We all sort of move along as we get older, we haven't moved on to Radio 4 yet as we have found Serenade Radio on the computer and what glorious music they play. xx

    ReplyDelete