Friday 3 December 2021

Astrid's Photo Scavenger hunt for the week ending - 03/12/2021

 Sub heading:   Better late than never!!

This week the title chosen by Astrid is Ornament.  Strangely enough I had a problem with this.  Firstly the Christmas tree decorations were still up in the loft - getting them down is a major operation and secondly somehow my week was all over the place - appointments, shopping and the annual Christmas Carol Service at our local church where I was doing a reading.  I also had to get baking done for Sunday as it was my turn to help with the teas after the service.....and sort myself out for Kate's Wreathy Thing on Saturday.  

So in spite of a timely reminder from Lovely Lady that it was Thursday and was I ready................I was not!!!

So here is a hurriedly put together entry for this week, so forgive me for being not only late, but not really up to scratch this week.

Looking round to see what ornaments to include I could not decide.  We have many brass horses, three in fact,  ornaments on shelves - but I have  used them before - so I suddenly thought of my printers' tray which has many different little ornaments, mostly mine but I inherited a few from my mother and now it is really a bit crowded, but which to remove?   But now a confession, when I went to photograph it I realised I had not dusted it or given it its annual bath and it was sooooo dusty.  So I hurriedly, whilst getting supper, washed all the little ornaments and the tray.  Somehow it had been over looked.   It looks clean and bright now!!









All have a story to tell.  I have rather a lot of Guinea Fowl, both mine and my mothers'.  The Siamese cat and kittens were hers too and the sheep in the bottom right and the little cottage above it were given to her by Katie.  The Hornbills on the bottom shelf were my mother's too, the little ivory elephants were B's mothers.  The owls are all mine.  I had a huge collection years ago, but only have a few left.  The rabbit and her babies were mine, given to me as a baby in 1942  (nearly 80 years ago so you don't need to work it out!!)  The two little brass plates are the only survivors from my dolls house in the 1950's  and the thimbles are souvenirs of K and G's wedding, one mine and the other my mothers.  So now you can see why I can't get rid of any of them. 



A more modern rabbit, a moon gazing one, given to me by Katie one Christmas.  No moon for him to gaze at,  he just looks at this lamp. 


Finally, one I have used before, but it is a favourite decoration of mine.  One my parents bought in 1960 when we moved to Southern Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe.  His hat looks a bit sad but he has survived well as he is made of glass. 



So as I said, better late than never.  I will do better next week.




7 comments:

  1. Glad you made it and as you save better late than never! Your collection of objects in the printer's tray is so interesting. I can see why it is hard to part with them. Glad to see Mr Snowman is alive and well. My favourite is the hare gazing at the lamp. It almost looks like he is blowing bubbles/lights from his mouth.... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not noticed Mr Hare was blowing bubbles when I took the photograph in a great hurry. How clever to spot it. 🎅🌲

      Delete
  2. Well done & you're not as late as I will be. Doing it today, Sunday. Your printer's tray reminds me of mine, though with very different items other than owls, which I've had a lifelong love affair with. Birds of prey if truth be told. I think my Mum may have had a snowman like that once too for her tree, but I've as yet to get out any decorations. Must get cracking. Thanks for sharing, have a good week & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognise a lot of the ornaments from Granny - lots of memories there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got our decorations out of loft as I needed bits for Kate's "Wreathy Thing" she holds each year. We gather in her warm home and make a huge mess, have a wonderful bring and share type lunch then go home with the wreaths we have made. It's the official start to Christmas!! Look forward to how you do 'Ornaments'. 🌲🎅

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for joining in, no one can be as late as me!
    I love how they are all displayed in the little cubby shelf, each one a story.
    Yes, the bunny does look as though he's blowing bubbles, too cute.
    Your snowman is precious, he looks very loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes Snowman is very precious. I never noticed the bubble blowing hare until Threads pointed it out.🌲😃

      Delete