Thursday 28 October 2021

Astrid's Photo Treasure Hunt for the week ending 29/10/2021



This week's word or words chosen by Astrid is Halloween or Choose  Your Own.  I have searched my archives and don't have a large selection to use for Halloween so have decided to add an amusing set of pictures as My Own Choice.




First a selection of carved pumpkins taken over a few years.  The first two were carved by B and the third by Katie. 











This is a neighbour of Kate and Himself really getting down to the bare bones of the occasion.  He really glowed in the dark.






Now for my own choice.

I have finally managed to get my sewing machine working again.  I found a very willing local sewing machine mechanic who came to our house and serviced and sorted out the tension problems I was having with my old machine.    As usual I was using my late mother-in-law's old sewing needle case and as always smiled as I did so.  Let me tell you why.

It is a lovely old good quality red  leather case, the cloth insides are getting a bit thin after years of use first by my mother-in-law and then myself.







Many years ago my husband, when an 8 year old boy living in present day Zambia, wanted a piece of leather for his homemade catty as children called their catapult, he looked around to find a useful piece.  He tells me that boys at that time usually used the tongue of a shoe but he could've find any to use, so being very resourceful he did this......






He says  he was in such trouble, and I'm not surprised,  I would have been furious, especially remembering that at that time living in Central Africa things like this would be very special and hard to come by.  To make matters worse, it was too small to use so he threw it away.

Little boys....................

That's my lot for this week.  Now off to see what others have done.  Have a good week.



9 comments:

  1. What a fabulous story about the needle case … and to think he didn’t even use the bit he’d cut off 🙈🙈🙈. We are hoping for a Halloween walk with the little man in Sunday so I’m going to be late with my contribution this week … and that’s assuming the weather is good enough for us to get out 🤞🤞🤞

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things he used to get up to! You could add or replace the fabric 'pages' where they are worn, then you'll be adding your bit of history to it❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea about replacing or adding to the old needle case. It must be close on 80 years old now.🧡 xx

      Delete
  3. Naughty B. Is it too late to send him to bed without any supper as punishment for his catty improvisations? Beloved calls his catapult a catty when he tells me tales of his childhood, eg, the catty 'suddenly going off' and breaking a neighbour's window.... as you say, little boys! You had better keep that needle cast going! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the case is sort of a family heirloom, not valuable but with a special story attached to it! x

      Delete
  4. Great Jack-o'lanterns! That skeleton costume is great, I bet it really glowed.
    Oh my, someone was a very naughty boy! At least it makes for good story now?!
    Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, a very naughty boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids............!! It is a lovely case & I'm trying to think how you could remedy it without destroying it as a whole......thinking???? We used to loosely celebrate Guy Fawkes here when I was a child, but that is long gone & it seems this century Halloween has been making it big time, though many of us don't think it should. Ah, maybe I'm just getting old. Take care & hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In some ways I don't want to repair it, it has been like that since 1948 but in other ways it would look good without the gap. I must admit I do enjoy reminding B what a naughty boy he was. His mother kept it that way till she died so perhaps I should too. Nice to hear from you. Hope you are well. xx

    ReplyDelete